Are some subjects in university a previlage to study?

I am an architecture student, I love studying architecture and its my biggest passion, As my study life progress certain challeneges and events definitely made me realise how expensive of a course it is compared to other courses, from buying different types of materials for physical models, art materials (which is very pricey) and dont even get me started on buying tech and softawares it draines my bank and stress me out. 

I remember one time i admitted to one of my tutors im working part time, I remember without thinking and any empathy or even a time to process what i said, replies with well your studying architecture technically you shouldnt be working do you even have time to do your projects? Like I have a choice to work???

• This tends to be an issue in general. Going to university is costly upfront. Not all students have the financial support to dedicate themselves to their studies. The onus falls on the student to support themselves and complete the course tasks and agenda. A potential alternative is a higher level apprenticeship where you mix work with obtaining a foundation degree or higher. Though these are rare. 

• I fully agree and recall the cost of being of studying. It is not cheap at all and I remember many selling theirs books at the end of a semester before the list was changes to new ones. 

Universities have a tendency to think you got the money already or you would not be going there. Luckily Denmark has SU (low level of pay while studying) and cheaper places to live. 

But still it is the drive that will keep you going also when it comes to finding a job afterwards. I would never give mine up and work in some shitty job instead. 

• I fully agree and recall the cost of being of studying. It is not cheap at all and I remember many selling theirs books at the end of a semester before the list was changes to new ones. 

Universities have a tendency to think you got the money already or you would not be going there. Luckily Denmark has SU (low level of pay while studying) and cheaper places to live. 

• it's a major issue across degrees and universities, especially as degrees become more sought after in jobs, the funding and financing for uni often isn't there, and living costs. it'll take big governmental changes to prioritise education 

• To be honest, when I was at university the lecturer said the exact same thing. They expect you to be putting fulltime into the course, but it's just not feasible, bills need paid and social life needs to be out too

• Yes.. With 56 hours a week in the hospital with €100,- a month as compensation. Loans were the only option.

I also learned that there are studies where books are optional, nothing other than a functional laptop (for browser / office) is needed and with time to work on the side. So it's very depending on what you do I guess. Most studies that require additional costs are worth it in the long run though. In general they provide better chances at securing a job with a good income and that's why students go along with it. The problem comes with people using that as an excuse why you as a student should magically have the money right now to buy the required laptop, books, art materials and spend all your time not asleep studying (and sometimes cut down the sleeping hours). Sadly it's easily forgotten.

• Offline in reply to A-R

I definitely agree, honestly I regret not doing a apprenticeship and doing a degree route instead

• Offline in reply to A-R

In my country apprenticeships aren't a thing unfortunately but I would have loved to do something similar to that.

• You've touched on a point I'd almost forgotten the fact the books keep getting churned and the costs being so high. You get the odd Professor who will hand out pdf copies of their books (that they published) mainly due to their disgust of publishers taking advantage of students. Again just stacks up the cost of learning. 

1. I'm the same if I'm honest. There's a lot said for doing an apprenticeship