What do you think classrooms will look like in 2030?

2020 has shown us just how different classrooms of the future might look.

What do you think classrooms will look like in 2030? Can we predict it?

• I think future classrooms won't be physical it will be metaverse based classroom and learning. metaverse bring feel of being in classroom yet virtual and enhance online learning. Looking forward to see how metaverse will take over the world

• Realistically much the same, things like covid actually highlighted the importance of it. The proper scheduled timetabling, the interactions between students, particularly at a younger level is very important for relationship building and social skills. Its nice having things like teams and zoom from a higher education perspective but there are always those who are going to get left behind and the meeting format doesn't really cater as well to that. In our school i know there were extra catchup sessions for student that'd got left behind etc. In the primaries that I support then they've seen real issues where those who might not have IT equipment and had to share or were moving between homes, speaking foreign languages at home etc all have been struggling since coming back. The head of one of the primary schools has said that they have pupils that can't even communicate in english due to being at home for so long and not having that peer to peer opportunity to improve as their parents may only speak another language.

Its all nice having ideas about fancy technology to enhance classrooms and teaching environments but in most cases I see it as staying the same. Also, the classrooms may change but the teachers do not. Its all good putting touch TV's in classrooms which teachers say they will use but from experience then they rarely are. Its the same kind of thing as smartboards (interactive whiteboards), they are in most classrooms that I've been to but i know of VERY few that actually use them or used them in the past. At the secondary school then we did a trial with some of the interactive boards in a couple of classrooms but even the head of the computing department didn't really use it. Since then we've just been installing large TVs in the rooms instead, just like having a projector but without the drawbacks, yes it can on occasion cost more to setup but you have next to no maintenance or lamp replacement to deal with.

In terms of VR then again its a nice idea but in application then there isn't any way of practically managing them, they are alright for once every so often lessons but they are a big investment for a small gain. The backbone for teaching would need to be massive with huge amounts of good quality resources that are relevant to lessons, there'd have to be charging stations and secure cabs from the IT perspective and who knows what else to manage and update them. Maybe something like an MDM could take it up with someone like Oculus because they're simply not practical at the moment and they're the only good affordable option out there as far as i know.

Sorry for the rant!

Josh

• A hybrid of at-home and in-school learning. I'm imagining class years rotating days in the building in order to share physical resources (eg. gymnasium equipment, pools) and at-home learning as we continue to move towards a digital workplace. I imagine that tech schools will become more important, as hands-on careers, such as plumbing, will continue to be necessary and eventually students will be encouraged to pursue them as the bulk of students are going to be expected to know how to operate in a digital workplace.

• Hopefully more confortable and with computers for everyone with more interaction with technology 

• Students won't perform better via online though, the whole pandemic is an example (atleast where i am nobody liked online and they did worse and got to skip exams because of it). Being physcially there is better. I cannot think of anyone who performed better online.

• All will be virtual without teacher and subject will be set by student, with very smart computer system to provide info and guidances 

• I don't think the actual classrooms (the room in a school building) will change that much in the next 10 years, but there will be more content that can be used online and via remote participation.

• Despite what many say, definitely NOT virtual. Humans especially children need the social interaction to grow. Hopefully by then testing methods will be more accurate instead of memory tests though

• It is difficult to predict what it will look like in 2030, since we don't just talk about advances in technology here, we also have societal factors such as expectations and "traditions". We're so stuck in this type of education that we find it "normal" and I hardly believe we will make any drastic shifts from it in under a decade.

Classrooms will probably use more tech and support wider audience via remote communications, but we've just touched the surface of these "upgrades" so it will probably go slow from now on. The pandemic just gave us a kick because of the necessity.

One thing I believe is important in the current classroom setup is the in-person contact the students get with each other and with the professors and tutors. That socialization is what bears fruit to great ideas because we don't just dive in, grab the information we need, and jump out, but instead, we're involved in conversations, we hear chatter and ideas, and we build networking.

• Not so different I fear. What the last years showed me, is that it takes a lot of time to make little changes to the education system. I hope however that schools and universities take advantage of the new technology that is provided. I think technology can help the teacher, just as sound and video do. Keeping what works and changing what can be better.