This post was originally featured on KnowledgeHut at the following URL: https://www.knowledgehut.com/blog/career/career-options-after-computer-engineering
KnowledgeHut is a global EdTech company helping students, professionals and organizations unlock productive excellence through skills development. Want to level up your skill set? Visit KnowledgeHut today. Lenovo EDU community members get 20% off their first course on the site (use promo code LENOVO).
For young aspirants, Computer Engineering has always been one of the most in-demand job options. This is because the subject is divided into several specializations resulting in various job opportunities for Computer Engineers. We have heard about how computer engineering opens fields and gives you numerous opportunities. If you are wondering what to do after engineering in Computer Science, you are not alone. It is true that this is a relatively fast-growing field and an in-demand career option.
Many students get confused about what to do after B. Tech in CSE. It’s natural, but there is no one answer to that question — and that’s the beauty of it. There are multiple career options after the degree and one can choose according to their interests and needs — some might be interested in good pay, while others opt for a field that’s close to their passion or one that lets them explore their potential skills. The choice is yours and only you know what you wish to pursue; but whatever it may be, we assure you that you will find a path that fits you right — whether it’s Data Scientist or Cyber Security Specialist — or something else.
We will soon take you through the career options. But before that, let’s dive into the higher education options for students after completing engineering in computer science.
Higher Education Options for Students after Engineering in Computer Science
Getting qualified in the relative field is the first step toward exploring your passion and skills in Computer Science. There is a huge demand for qualified computer science experts who are talented and can work comprehensively. Whether you choose to do a Cloud Computing course or Python, the potential skills you gain from them will help you bag the right job. Let us now explore the important higher education options for you to land a lucrative job in the booming field of Computer Science.
- M.Tech or MS in Computer Engineering: If you are looking for higher study options in the same field of computer science, this is the best option for you. Higher studies can help you bond with the course better. The M. Tech is a 2-year-long course while the MS in computer is a 3-year-long course. You can start applying after the master's or even opt for Ph.D. in the research field.
- Ph.D.: If you have an instinct or passion for research, opt for the Ph. D program. The program can opt right after the master’s degree. This is important, and many students opt for Ph. D to make a better impact on their profile. And who wants to miss the ‘Dr’! These are 5 years-long integrated courses where you would be asked to research for 3 years before giving your thesis. Some students opt for a master's degree along with a Ph. D. This is also known as the dual- degree or the dual-education.
- Post-graduation in Machine Learning Data Science or Business Analytics: These are the hot sellers or takers in the data scientist field. You can opt for post-graduation programs and get qualified for trending fields like artificial intelligence, machine learning, and deep learning. For all the big data and science data it is one of the most trending fields.
- MBA: you can opt for MBA if you have an interest in management. It can be directly related to computer work and can help you with better planning and go insights into the business world.
After higher studies, it is also important to gain relative experience. Make sure you take up some internships and freelancing work. These not only help you gain experience but also inform you of your potential skills in the relative fields. Now that we have the education in hand let us explore the career options ahead.
Career Options after Completing Engineering in Computer Science
For a long time, Computer Engineering has remained the primary career focus for young, smart, and ambitious — and has been in high demand because of the opportunities it presented for lucrative careers in the booming IT field. Computer Engineers have the option to pick a career path from a wide range of specializations because the field branches into many interesting ones. However, the numerous choices spread out in front of them often make it difficult to find the right path in an ocean full of opportunities. If you feel the same way, read on. We have a list of career paths that you can consider taking after computer engineering.
1. Software Developer
The role of a Software Developer is one of the best career options after computer engineering which is best suitable for those who love coding and programming. Software Developers have high demand in the IT sector. They create innovative software programs and applications that cater to specific customer needs.
- Specialization in programming languages like C, C++, Java, Python, etc.
- Technical creativity and analytical thinking skills to solve software-related issues
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills
India: For freshers, salary ranges between Rs. 3-7 LPA, and after years of experience, it increases up to 10-15 LPA.
USA: The average salary is $110,638
2. Data Analyst
Data Analysts act as a bridge between data science and business. Data Analysts gather relevant data from various sources and must be able to present their findings in a way that all project stakeholders can understand. They perform Data Mining, Analysis, Inspection, Predictive Modelling, and Report Generation to ensure good business and technology decisions for a company.
- Specialization in Statistical Programming Languages like Python
- Strong Analytical skills, decision-making powers, SQL skills, and Database Knowledge
India: Income ranges from Rs. 3-10 LPA, but most of the companies offer a bit static salary ranging between Rs. 5 to Rs. 8 LPA.
USA: The average salary is $ 70,684.
3. Data Scientist
Data Scientists are primarily focused on creating and deriving values from Data Analysts' findings. They revolve around the ideologies of a company utilizing a variety of resources to generate a valuable idea that will make the organization more profitable and commendable in terms of its position and competition.
- Analytical and Statistical Skills
- Strong knowledge of Mathematics
- Development and Programming skills
India: Average salary ranges from Rs. 4-20 LPA with years of experience
USA: The average salary is $ 81,361 (1-3 years of experience) and; 143,648 (8+ years of experience)
4. Database Administrator
Databases are a valuable asset to any business, and it's crucial to ensure strong security and administration to manage them effectively. Database Administrators are responsible for managing and ensuring the proper functioning and access to databases. They are responsible for quality control and reporting on various components of software design.
- Ability to use database design techniques
- Ensuring a secure DB infrastructure and proper data integrity
- Knowledge of ERP and business-oriented reporting and writing efficient SQL code
India: The average salary ranges between Rs. 3-10 LPA
USA: The average salary is $ 85,533.
5. Data Engineer
With efficiency and scalability, infrastructure and management systems are maintained to ensure data storage. A Data Engineer’s job is to create software components and tools that will be useful for the infrastructure.
- DBMS Knowledge
- Known to Big Data frameworks
- Knowledge of Scripting languages
India: The average salary Income ranges between Rs. 3-20 LPA
USA: The average salary is $ 115,737
6. Cyber Security Specialist
Cyber security entails a wide range of technical and logical skills. A Cyber Security Specialist examines the security of various networks and the apps that are connected to them.
- Strong knowledge of Security and Network
- Strong IT skills
- Strong Problem-Solving and Analytical skills
India: The average salary ranges between Rs. 7-15 LPA
USA: The average salary is $ 100,000
7. Machine Learning Engineer
The ML Engineers specialize in designing and developing intelligent systems for usage in a variety of software systems and by businesses for various objectives. They create AI-powered systems based on machine learning and deep learning that are highly advanced.
- Strong Mathematics
- State-of-the-art ML Algorithms and NN based Algorithms
- Capacity to develop ML and DL Systems
India: The average salary is around Rs. 7.5 LPA
USA: The average salary is $ 127,238
8. Computer Network Architect
Computer Network Architect design, develop, implement, and maintain networking and data transmission systems, including local area networks, wide area networks, extranets, and intranets. They upgrade both software and hardware. They typically collaborate with the company's Chief Technology Officer to forecast where new networks are most needed.
- Strong knowledge of Computer Networks
- Knowledge of Digital Security
- Maintain various network technologies and servers
India: The average salary ranges between Rs. 10-30 LPA.
USA: The average salary is $ 98,664
9. Game Developer
Most teenagers dream of developing their favorite games by working for Unity, PUBG Corporation, EA Sports, etc. Building relevant skills can lead to a career as a game developer. It’s crucial to have the skills to create, be creative and produce interfaces to meet the needs of games software used in a wide range of applications.
- Strong programming, logical, and decision-making skills
- Knowledge of programming languages
- Highly skilled with Graphics and Animation
India: The average salary is Rs. 5 LPA, ranging from Rs. 2 to 20 LPA.
USA: The average salary is $ 71,295
10. System Administrator
System Administrators have existed for decades in the IT industry. They are in charge of administration, local infrastructure inspection, and maintaining the health of the system. They train and guide the development team at the company on how to use the system.
- Knowledge of computer systems and expertise in networks
- Databases and Web services
- Excellent problem solver
India: The average salary ranges between Rs. 2-9 LPA.
USA: The average salary is $ 84,363
11. QA/Test Automation Engineer
QA Automation Engineers have gained momentum in testing and automating several SDLC components. The QA Automation Engineers ensure that testing processes are automated to make them faster and more efficient than manual testing methods. QA engineers oversee everything from unit testing to performance testing.
- Familiarity with Java and VBScript
- Strong Analytical skills
- Knowledge of Bug fixing and testing protocols
- Advanced programming skills
India: The average salary ranges between Rs. 3-10 LPA.
USA: The average salary is $ 101,017
12. Full Stack Software Developer
The primary responsibilities of Full Stack Developers are programming and coding. They design websites as per the client specifications and requests along with sticking to conventional HTML/CSS techniques— keeping track of the necessary software documentation.
- Frontend Development: HTML, CSS, etc
- Backend Development: JS, PHP, JAVA, Python, etc
- API Design and Maintenance
India: The average salary ranges between Rs. 3-14 LPA.
USA: The average salary ranges between $103,422.
Ready to Carve Out Your Perfect Career?
Now that you have gone through the top tech career options related to computer science, we hope you have gained more clarity on your path. Keep exploring and find the one that fits you best. These are all fast-growing tech careers, and those who acquire the necessary abilities and certifications can surely carve out a prosperous career in this booming and lucrative industry. Choose the right web development course according to your potential, interests, and skills — we are sure you’ll find one that is best for you. And as you go on this interesting journey, we wish you all the success and hope you land a career you are happy with and proud of.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which course is best after computer engineering?
You can opt for the comprehensive range of computer science courses after graduation. It depends on the skills, potential, and interests you have. Choose from courses like Data Science, Big Data Engineering, Data Analyst, Big Data Analysis, Web Designing, VFX Training, Character Animation Degree, Software Development, Computer Hardware Engineering, and Networking.
2. What is the highest-paying job in the computer field?
The field is competitive. We have different fields that pay equal and higher in computer science. These include the following:
- $131,300 for an Information Security Engineer
- $137,400 for a DevOps Engineer
- $144,400 for an Enterprise Architect
- $145,000 for a Technical Program Manager
- $145,400 for a Software Architect
- $149,000 for an Application Architect
- $153,000 for an Infrastructure Architect
- $153,300 for a Software Development Manager.
3. Is Computer Engineering a good career?
Computer and information technology engineers are at the top of the list of high-paying careers. Computer and information technology engineers are constantly challenged and must gain new skills and abilities. They have generally shown a high level of job satisfaction.
Ready to get started? Visit KnowledgeHut today. Lenovo EDU community members get 20% off their first course on the site (use promo code LENOVO).
Image description: Students sit in a lecture hall listening to a professor.