Are you considering a STEM career?

It seems like STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) careers are some of the most in-demand, high-paying, and stable options in the U.S. right now. 

Are you leaning toward a career in STEM? Why? (or why not?)

If you are, do you find meaningful purpose in that career like impacts on: 

• Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability

• Technological Advances

• Social Justice and Equity

• Innovation and Creativity

• Health innovations

I'd love to hear what you're leaning toward if you haven't started your career path yet... or what you're working toward if you have! 

• I am a current senior in nursing school and I love my stem education!!

• STEM careers, have a great relevance. The field will yield new solutions for climate change and a sustainable environment.

• Because STEM is relatively newer than humanity and arts, it's just supply and demand. While STEM is exciting I think everyone should pick their career based on their own personality and interest

• I mean, I would say being a physician or lawyer is still the go-to for pay and stability. And that isn't likely to change any time soon, if for nothing else than licensing requirements.There's a lot of traditional gatekeeping in those sorts of professions, not without reason (even if it doesn't guarantee competence and is also prone to misconduct...). 

• I already have a degree in Biology, but it turns out that it's not that useful as far as having a career in the real world. I'm definitely concerned about climate change, ecology, and the environment because this is probably the existential threat of our time. I'm really surprised by the lack of political will (things are slowly improving) about solving climate change including phasing out fossil fuels much quicker. For years, fossil fuel companies sowed doubt into people's minds by hiring "scientists" whose sole job was to disagree with the real data that yes human activities are causing global warming and climate change. Then, politicians said going green would crash our economy. But now, the green sector is a burgeoning part of our economy. I think the inertia to change and lack of will to make huge strides it comes down to lobbyists and money in politics. Technological advances and AI might be helpful, but I don't think it's capable of solving all of our problems. Also, nobody really knows which way AI is going to go as far as replacing people's jobs now that the "genie is out of the bottle" and is progressively becoming increasingly capable. Social justice and equity aren't important just because it's the right and altruistic thing to do. I really think that science, technology, and society can't make great improvements unless everyone has a seat and voice at the table. A lot of high-paying professions and careers are also in the creative and artistic realms, too. Health innovations are tricky to do because it takes over a billion dollars to bring a new medicine to market. Regulations are there to protect us, and shouldn't be watered down. But, I think to make progress on something such as fighting cancer for example is tricky because those are also our own cells gone awry. I think progress is going to be made by making molecular "smart bombs" that target what cancer cells are susceptible to without harming our healthy cells. Some progress has already been made and is being made on this front, but I'm certain there's a lot of work still to be done.

• Already in, its the AI future with STEM (among other disciplines)

STEM being high paying is misleading, as that's more of a mid/high level position. The starting out pay usually is very meh, unless your a programmer.

• Currently studying chemical engineering and I want to help improve the pharma industry! I feel my background in STEM really came from curiosity about what's going on, why are things working the way they are, can they be better...?  

• Curious as to why you think STEM careers would have any impact or even any interest in "Social Justice and Equity" matters? Communism isn't really an area of STEM study after all.

• I wasn't, but now I'm looking into it lol

• If I could go back, I would. I had an aptitude for it. I enjoyed the challenge.