Balance between EGO and HUMILITY?

It's a competitive world out there and while we fight our urges to be a good and helpful person not only for our loved ones but also the rest of the society, we must not forget to help ourselves in the process whether this assistance is financially, mentally, and/or physically. While fighting our demons to remain a kind and tenderhearted person, we must also keep our angels in check to make sure our excessive empathy does not cause us any harm or become a catalyst to fall behind in the process.

How do you balance between your ego and humility? Which one is currently leading the way? Where you live, which one is more prominent?

Depending on your career choice, where do you see yourself in between these two worlds? Obviously balance is the key!

These questions are just guidance. You don't have to answer all of them but definitely go a bit deeper, if you may.

• "Happiness is like a butterfly, the more you chase it, the more it will elude, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder." Henry David Thoreau. 

• I think I am okay to good at a lot of things, but certainly too humble. Humble to the point where my lack of confidence in any field is a problem. Any new skills are achievable, but there is an overwhelming amount of work ahead and I get intimidated and give up.

• Yes sir! I never heard of this before but I would that it's often times quite true. The only time that it does not apply to reality is when someone is in an environment where happiness has to be chased and not readily available for them.

• Offline in reply to chris h.

I understand where you come from, but humility and being humble should not translate to lack of confidence. You have to make sure to separate being intimidated by situations or people from your reaching to your goals. Living in a society which thrives on self over the collective means that you do need to understand where to draw the lines between being too humble and overflowing with ego. Lack of either one of these can be costly in most modern societies; the key is to no lose the human inside you in the process of getting form point A to point B.