Cruise Life

I'm going on my first cruise in October a 21 day cruse in the Caribbean. 
Have you cruised before any advice or thoughts? 

Let me know. 

Thank you 

Dave

• Sounds fun! Been on one; I recommend doing a variety of excursions and always wear plenty of sun block!

• No I have never cruise, I have been in large boats, but not a cruise, It sound like a lot of fun. I hope you have a great time.

• I've been on a short 2-3 day cruise before. I didn't think it was that great, because you're largely stuck on a boat. However, I can see the value in places where there are lots of islands or there aren't many roads, like southeast Alaska.

• I have never cruised before, so I will be waiting for your advice when you return! Hope you enjoy!!

• Bring Dramamine for sea sickness, sunscreen, and don't forget some nicer clothes for meals. Cruise lines have different dinner requirements a lot of times so a pair of nice slacks for dinner works well. 

• Take those mental pictures and enjoy the world you'll see! 

• They make you think that you need to buy all of the extras, but almost everything that you need is included. I spent 0 on my account other than tips last time. Enjoy yourself and there is so many free things to do!

• I have been on 2 cruises, but both were more than 30 years ago.  I'm sure things have changed since then, but I do have some suggestions for you.  Check with your mobile phone provider to see what your plan covers.  On a ship and overseas, you will be charged roaming fees which can add up literally to thousands of dollars if you aren't careful and you could be in for a very unpleasant and expensive surprise when you return. You might be better off getting a "disposable" phone to use just for the trip.  Make sure you have any written documentation that might be needed when you go off the ship in another country for excursions. You may or may not be required to have a passport, but even if not required, I would have one and carry it with you when you leave the ship. Unexpected things can happen and you wouldn't want to end up detained for some reason in a foreign country with no proper documentation.  I would stick with the excursions that the cruise line offers and number one rule, always, ALWAYS, make sure you are back well before the time the ship is scheduled to leave.  DO NOT BE LATE or you could be left behind.  The ship WILL NOT WAIT for you!!!  Keep a change of clothes, underwear, medication, etc. in a carry-on with you in case, God forbid, your luggage somehow does not make it to the ship!  Depending on the ship, you should have lots of dining options.  Have fun and try a lot of different options!  Avoid the temptation of buying things from the shops located on the ship unless it's something you really need.  It is easy to get sucked in and you can really end up spending a lot of money and most of the time, the prices are much higher than you will find in shops locally.  Don't forget you will have to declare your purchases on your customs form when you return.  Keep your receipts and have them handy and organized when you are given the customs form to fill out. If they decide to do a random search of your luggage, you can be in big trouble if you fail to declare something. Do not travel or bring back any banned items.  Pay very close attention to this when buying souvenirs (especially food items, liquor, etc.). If you do plan on buying a lot of souvenirs, consider taking a separate bag just for the souvenirs that you can check so you don't have to try and shove everything in your luggage. Consider packing cubes.  They really do help keep you organized and if your luggage does get selected to get searched, it will be much easier if your belongings are organized in packing cubes that can be gone through rather than having everything just randomly sorted through.  I had a friend who went on a cruise and her luggage got searched.  They literally took her things and rummaged through them and threw them on the floor and had her put them back in her bag.  Some things ended getting lost, along with receipts that she needed and all of the chaos caused her to miss her flight home. Don't forget your chargers for your device(s), memory cards that may be needed, etc.  If you end up having to buy those somewhere else, they can be pricey. Make sure you will have funds available for the tips to the cabin maid, restaurant servers, etc. at the end of the cruise.  You should receive information from the cruise line as to suggested amounts.  You should be able to get cash from the ATMs on board the ship, but if you don't want to go that route, plan accordingly. Pack sunscreen, be sure to have sunglasses (maybe even an extra pair, as they are easy to lose!), wear comfortable clothes and shoes and maybe bring a hat and rain poncho.  If you will be going to a climate that might be cool or cold, especially in the evenings, be sure to have some sort of jacket.  It gets windy on the ship deck and can get chilly, even in warm climates. Don't feel like you have to be doing something every second. There is a lot to do on a ship!  The cruise line should provide you with materials to read ahead of time as far as type of clothing to bring, ship protocols, excursions, etc.  Make sure to read it!  Also, one last thing, I strongly recommend travel insurance and if it does not cover any sort of medical emergencies, check with your health insurance provider to see if you covered in the case of emergencies overseas.  You may need to include some sort of provision in a travel policy or even a separate policy that will cover you during your trip.  Most likely you will end up not needing it, but it is so much better to be prepared ahead of time.  It's easy to forget stuff like that in the excitement leading up to your trip!  Sorry this is so long, but I hope it is helpful to you!  Have fun!

• I have been on 2 cruises, but both were more than 30 years ago.  I'm sure things have changed since then, but I do have some suggestions for you.  Check with your mobile phone provider to see what your plan covers.  On a ship and overseas, you will be charged roaming fees which can add up literally to thousands of dollars if you aren't careful and you could be in for a very unpleasant and expensive surprise when you return. You might be better off getting a "disposable" phone to use just for the trip.  Make sure you have any written documentation that might be needed when you go off the ship in another country for excursions. You may or may not be required to have a passport, but even if not required, I would have one and carry it with you when you leave the ship. Unexpected things can happen and you wouldn't want to end up detained for some reason in a foreign country with no proper documentation.  I would stick with the excursions that the cruise line offers and number one rule, always, ALWAYS, make sure you are back well before the time the ship is scheduled to leave.  DO NOT BE LATE or you could be left behind.  The ship WILL NOT WAIT for you!!!  Keep a change of clothes, underwear, medication, etc. in a carry-on with you in case, God forbid, your luggage somehow does not make it to the ship!  Depending on the ship, you should have lots of dining options.  Have fun and try a lot of different options!  Avoid the temptation of buying things from the shops located on the ship unless it's something you really need.  It is easy to get sucked in and you can really end up spending a lot of money and most of the time, the prices are much higher than you will find in shops locally.  Don't forget you will have to declare your purchases on your customs form when you return.  Keep your receipts and have them handy and organized when you are given the customs form to fill out. If they decide to do a random search of your luggage, you can be in big trouble if you fail to declare something. Do not travel or bring back any banned items.  Pay very close attention to this when buying souvenirs (especially food items, liquor, etc.). If you do plan on buying a lot of souvenirs, consider taking a separate bag just for the souvenirs that you can check so you don't have to try and shove everything in your luggage. Consider packing cubes.  They really do help keep you organized and if your luggage does get selected to get searched, it will be much easier if your belongings are organized in packing cubes that can be gone through rather than having everything just randomly sorted through.  I had a friend who went on a cruise and her luggage got searched.  They literally took her things and rummaged through them and threw them on the floor and had her put them back in her bag.  Some things ended getting lost, along with receipts that she needed and all of the chaos caused her to miss her flight home. Don't forget your chargers for your device(s), memory cards that may be needed, etc.  If you end up having to buy those somewhere else, they can be pricey. Make sure you will have funds available for the tips to the cabin maid, restaurant servers, etc. at the end of the cruise.  You should receive information from the cruise line as to suggested amounts.  You should be able to get cash from the ATMs on board the ship, but if you don't want to go that route, plan accordingly. Pack sunscreen, be sure to have sunglasses (maybe even an extra pair, as they are easy to lose!), wear comfortable clothes and shoes and maybe bring a hat and rain poncho.  If you will be going to a climate that might be cool or cold, especially in the evenings, be sure to have some sort of jacket.  It gets windy on the ship deck and can get chilly, even in warm climates. Don't feel like you have to be doing something every second. There is a lot to do on a ship!  The cruise line should provide you with materials to read ahead of time as far as type of clothing to bring, ship protocols, excursions, etc.  Make sure to read it!  Also, one last thing, I strongly recommend travel insurance and if it does not cover any sort of medical emergencies, check with your health insurance provider to see if you covered in the case of emergencies overseas.  You may need to include some sort of provision in a travel policy or even a separate policy that will cover you during your trip.  Most likely you will end up not needing it, but it is so much better to be prepared ahead of time.  It's easy to forget stuff like that in the excitement leading up to your trip!  Sorry this is so long, but I hope it is helpful to you!  Have fun!

• Have never cruised before, but sounds fantastic. Bring a variety of clothing, since you'll be sailing during hurricane season. You should learn about various cultures during your stopovers. Be prepared for some sea sickness and virus outbreaks. Enjoy, take lots of photos and check in upon your return with some feedback!!!