Body Doubling

"Body doubling or parallel working is strategy used to initiate and complete tasks, such as household chores or writing and other computer tasks. It involves the physical presence of someone, virtual presence through a phone call, videotelephony or social media, with whom one shares their goals, which makes it more likely to achieve them." -  Wikipedia

Body doubling is why people often want to type and work in public. It is often associated with ADHD.

Do you do this? Does it help? Do you want me and others to gently pressure you to finish that project you have been saying you want to do for years? An encouraging nudge. A pseudo deadline to hold yourself more accountable so you don't disappoint yourself anymore?

I'm here waiting for you.

Parents
  • Yes, it's true! If you have a partner to do same or similar things together, it's more likely you both will complete it. The two could be working on their own thigs but working together in the same environment, talking about while they are working... This concept is applied in my work environment, not just at home.

• Yes, it's true! If you have a partner to do same or similar things together, it's more likely you both will complete it. The two could be working on their own thigs but working together in the same environment, talking about while they are working... This concept is applied in my work environment, not just at home.

Children
  • It may be a part of why some people are less effective/productive while WFH. Nobody around. Doesn't feel like work anymore. There's a thing I heard about recently. Something like a litterbox mentality. These are the activities you do here, this is what you do there. If you live in a studio apartment, it's an all purpose room. It can be hard to mode switch to work in your bedroom. It can be hard to sleep in the office, living room, or kitchen. Unrelated tasks you're surrounded by from other parts of your life can be distracting.