Organizations, Clubs, and Community

I go to a smaller private college and have found that really my only way to community at my school has been through joining our club rugby team. I was wondering if this is a similar experience for a lot of students or if its just because my school is a lot smaller than others. I am also a nursing major and find it hard to really get into that community within my classes. Pretty much all my friends I have met through rugby as either friends of friends or directly through playing the same sport. 

Please comment your experiences and where you have found the most community at your school!!

• Join a club and meet new people while encouraging your interested :)

• Joining Clubs or other organizations can be a great stress free way to meeting potential friends because of shared interest as a ice breaker.

• Generally speaking, if you go to a private school then the options for clubs and sports teams are a bit more limited; however, almost every college these days have what you call "Intramural Teams" for various sports. These include anything from soccer to chess clubs. I would recommend reaching out to your school's website and giving it a search. You can also lookup for "Informal Classes" that are offered at or around your college.

Another option you might have is to look into English as a Second Language classes and become a "Pal" for someone who is here on an exchange program. You might find yourself amazed to meet international students from other countries. They might sound different than what you are used to but they will brighten up your world and add a lot of value to your life. Meanwhile, they can benefit from your experiences and English language skills.

Last but not least, you can take "Physical Education" or similar courses to not only stay active but also meet people. Remember, PE does not end in high school and stays with you for the rest of your life Slight smile

• I think it's more of a rugby thing than a club thing. The rugby community is typically very nice. 

• I didn't have time for many extracurricular activities in college since I was working full-time and going to school full-time. My spouse went to nursing school which seemed as challenging as my graduate program even during her first two years. She didn't have time for extracurriculars whether she was working full-time, part-time, or taking time off to concentrate on her studies. So, I commend you on your choice of major since it's definitely a calling (especially since the pandemic). If you have time, extracurricular sports are a great way to meet people and socialize, and some colleges might offer scholarships for playing sports. It might be an additional thing to add to your resume, too. I wish you the best in all of your endeavors.

• I agree that probably a private college will have less clubs/communities where to make friends, but there are also options outside your college. If you have a passion, you can join classes/clubs outside college and you'll likely find people with similar interests and potential friends! (e.g., dancing classes, sport(s) you like, even the gym...). 

I am a graduate student in a big public school and there's usually lots of clubs/organizations to choose from and where to meet people. So a different experience in my case. 

• You just discovered what college is all about. PICK YOUR FRIENDS! Choose wisely, you will know them for many,. many years to come.

• You just discovered what college is all about. PICK YOUR FRIENDS! Choose wisely, you will know them for many,. many years to come.

• Must be a really small school? Hard to believe that Rugby is the only club or group to interact with...   No flag football?  No reading Club?  Maybe you can start a "Health Care Club"?  Or a "Running club".  OR a Biking Club ?

• What school has rugby in the US?   You can also try a non-denominational church.   Get involved there.