Do you think laptops distract from studies?

Are laptops a distraction from studies, do to Internet access, or do they help? Do you prefer online textbooks or physical ones?

Parents
  • It's not the tool, it's the person and environment. I think there's something to be said, perhaps, for better discipline and mindfulness with a laptop over time, because people tend to just sort of always have the laptop on them and become accustomed to using it for everything all the time. That could mean more and better studying, but it could also mean more distraction and not keeping things separated mentally. You don't decide to go to the desktop for a particular purpose; you are always near the laptop and become used to using it all the time for whatever purpose. Some people say that they prefer a dedicated office or room for work, because it helps keep spheres of life separate. I think, for some people, if they're not mindful, a similar thing could be said about computing. But as always, a bit of awareness solves the problem.

• It's not the tool, it's the person and environment. I think there's something to be said, perhaps, for better discipline and mindfulness with a laptop over time, because people tend to just sort of always have the laptop on them and become accustomed to using it for everything all the time. That could mean more and better studying, but it could also mean more distraction and not keeping things separated mentally. You don't decide to go to the desktop for a particular purpose; you are always near the laptop and become used to using it all the time for whatever purpose. Some people say that they prefer a dedicated office or room for work, because it helps keep spheres of life separate. I think, for some people, if they're not mindful, a similar thing could be said about computing. But as always, a bit of awareness solves the problem.

Children
No Data