Should I install Proxmox Virtual Environment 8 on a Legion Pro 5i Gen 8?

I'm looking for help and advice.  Click images to see larger version.

Morgonaut — Triple Boot HackintoshI have a little experience operating Proxmox VE on servers — which belong to clients.  But, they are running older versions.  Mostly, I just interact with the Linux guest VMs (Virtual Machines) hosted on Proxmox.

In the past, I have seen YouTube videos touting, "I run Linux, macOS, and Windows — on one machine, simultaneously — with Proxmox!"  Typically, however, the YouTuber is running Proxmox on a desktop PC — with a workstation CPU (Threadripper or Xeon W) — and at least 2 graphics cards.  At least one of the graphics cards is an AMD Radeon — for PCI-passthrough to the macOS guest VM.

My goal is to build a portable virtual environment.  To work with, I only have 2 graphics devices — Intel 13th-gen integrated-graphics and NVIDIA RTX 4060 discreet-graphics.  Except on standby, the system guzzles battery.  I don't expect to run this without the power supply (available).  Power concerns aside, I suspect I can run (at most) 2 VMs to 2 displays — including (or in addition to) the built-in display.  As I don't want to rely on another device to manage Proxmox, I am aware I will need to install a (light) desktop environment.

My major concern are the IOMMU groups for PCI-passthrough.  The RTX 4060 is definitely in a discreet group — to pass through to Windows or Linux.  But, macOS will only work with Intel or AMD graphics (or very old NVIDIA cards).  In the past, I have run Mojave on a guest VM in VirtualBox — on a Lenovo 2-in-1 (Intel 8th-gen Core i7 + NVIDIA MX230).  I did not find a way to pass through the Intel integrated-graphics.  Nor did I find a way to output sound.

I hope I have better luck with KVM and qemu.

Another concern is BIOS updates.  I haven't had to download a BIOS-update and run it from boot-media in over a decade.  Nor have I checked if that is still possible.  I see that I can download a BIOS update (.exe) from Lenovo Support.  But, can I run the update without Windows?  Although I plan to have a Windows VM, I don't plan to use the OEM (bare metal) Windows system.

Legion Pro 5i under light loadI have already backed up the initial state of the SSD.  So far, I have been using the Legion Pro 5i Gen 8 — solely with Linux Live-USB.  Here are the Geekbench 6 results (links launch new tab or window):

I don't know if this can be done.  A few years ago, I was excited to try.  But, much has changed.

Once more... I am looking for help and advice.  Thanks in advance!

Parents
  • Wow!  MX Linux 23.1 AHS runs great on the Legion 5i Pro Gen 8!

And Windows 11 Home is worse than I imagined.  Without Windows, however, I couldn't update the system firmware, including the UEFI/BIOS.  I credit the firmware updates for a fair portion of the performance and power management improvements.

I installed KDE Plasma (5.27.5) from the package manager, because the true AHS version (Debian 6.5 kernel) only comes with Xfce.  Unlike MX Linux 18.3 or 19.[0–4], MX Linux 23.1 AHS includes tlp (ThinkPad Laptop Power) by default.  But, I refrained from tweaking tlp — to see how the system performs with the default settings (AC=balance_performance, BAT=balance_power).

Testing and re-testing.

After getting a few apps installed and adjusting some UI settings, I decided to re-run Geekbench6.

Here are my Geekbench6 results, on tlp-default settings:

Not a huge improvement in performance.  The battery-life, however, improved +120%!  Over 4 hours (264 minutes) of activity!  Including performance tests!

I had been getting 2 hours (120 minutes) of activity on battery, with my imported MX 19.4 system (Debian 6.0 kernel); from a 2019 Lenovo laptop.  MX 19.4 produced the results in the body of this discussion topic (see top of this page).

I digress.

Improving power management is always tedious.

After careful evaluation of the data from tlp-stat -v, I adjusted a selection of settings in tlp.  Each set towards maximum performance on AC (sans overclocking) and maximum battery-life on BAT.

Here are my Geekbench6 results, on tlp-user settings:

What???  No performance increase on AC?  And a performance decrease on BAT???

Yes!!!  And it's fantastic!

I ran the test on BAT after charging to 100%.  As I recall, I disconnected the AC-adapter at 24 minutes up-time.  Then I locked the screen and suspended the laptop (a.k.a. sleep-mode).  I woke the suspended session at 2 hours 7 minutes up-time.  I completed a bunch of tasks, including downloading a few GiB of data, extracting the latest version of Clonezilla Live to a USB, and watching some streaming content.

At 5 hours 20 minutesAt 7 hours 25 minutesAt 5 hours 20 minutes up-time, I ran the "tlp powersave" test.

As I type this sentence, it's at 7 hours 20 minutes up-time!  With only 2.1 hours suspended!  That's over 5 hours of activity!

And the battery still has 32% left — 1 hour 52 minutes remaining!  (Click images to enlarge and zoom)

Proofreading is hard enough without self-censorship.

Thank you for your cooperationDue to my reply getting flagged for including a Linux filename and 4 links (instead of 3), I did not post this earlier.  I was too tired to edit the HTML-source I saved, but also I didn't want to get flagged for "spamming".  Now, I feel like rolling the dice.  Please don't ban me.

The Legion 5i Pro Gen 8 battery-life experiment results:

• Total up-time: 8 hours 50 minutes
    • Total sleep-time: 2 hours 7 minutes
    • Total active-time: 6 hours 43 minutes!

I must get a 2nd SSD and a 32 GB RAM-kit.  Proxmox VE is more doable than I thought.  I just needed the right firmware and software.

• Wow!  MX Linux 23.1 AHS runs great on the Legion 5i Pro Gen 8!

And Windows 11 Home is worse than I imagined.  Without Windows, however, I couldn't update the system firmware, including the UEFI/BIOS.  I credit the firmware updates for a fair portion of the performance and power management improvements.

I installed KDE Plasma (5.27.5) from the package manager, because the true AHS version (Debian 6.5 kernel) only comes with Xfce.  Unlike MX Linux 18.3 or 19.[0–4], MX Linux 23.1 AHS includes tlp (ThinkPad Laptop Power) by default.  But, I refrained from tweaking tlp — to see how the system performs with the default settings (AC=balance_performance, BAT=balance_power).

Testing and re-testing.

After getting a few apps installed and adjusting some UI settings, I decided to re-run Geekbench6.

Here are my Geekbench6 results, on tlp-default settings:

Not a huge improvement in performance.  The battery-life, however, improved +120%!  Over 4 hours (264 minutes) of activity!  Including performance tests!

I had been getting 2 hours (120 minutes) of activity on battery, with my imported MX 19.4 system (Debian 6.0 kernel); from a 2019 Lenovo laptop.  MX 19.4 produced the results in the body of this discussion topic (see top of this page).

I digress.

Improving power management is always tedious.

After careful evaluation of the data from tlp-stat -v, I adjusted a selection of settings in tlp.  Each set towards maximum performance on AC (sans overclocking) and maximum battery-life on BAT.

Here are my Geekbench6 results, on tlp-user settings:

What???  No performance increase on AC?  And a performance decrease on BAT???

Yes!!!  And it's fantastic!

I ran the test on BAT after charging to 100%.  As I recall, I disconnected the AC-adapter at 24 minutes up-time.  Then I locked the screen and suspended the laptop (a.k.a. sleep-mode).  I woke the suspended session at 2 hours 7 minutes up-time.  I completed a bunch of tasks, including downloading a few GiB of data, extracting the latest version of Clonezilla Live to a USB, and watching some streaming content.

At 5 hours 20 minutesAt 7 hours 25 minutesAt 5 hours 20 minutes up-time, I ran the "tlp powersave" test.

As I type this sentence, it's at 7 hours 20 minutes up-time!  With only 2.1 hours suspended!  That's over 5 hours of activity!

And the battery still has 32% left — 1 hour 52 minutes remaining!  (Click images to enlarge and zoom)

Proofreading is hard enough without self-censorship.

Thank you for your cooperationDue to my reply getting flagged for including a Linux filename and 4 links (instead of 3), I did not post this earlier.  I was too tired to edit the HTML-source I saved, but also I didn't want to get flagged for "spamming".  Now, I feel like rolling the dice.  Please don't ban me.

The Legion 5i Pro Gen 8 battery-life experiment results:

• Total up-time: 8 hours 50 minutes
    • Total sleep-time: 2 hours 7 minutes
    • Total active-time: 6 hours 43 minutes!

I must get a 2nd SSD and a 32 GB RAM-kit.  Proxmox VE is more doable than I thought.  I just needed the right firmware and software.

Children
  • Now, I feel like rolling the dice.  Please don't ban me.

Trust me, you're good lol, I don't mind approving things if they float my way when it's a false positive

• I have a bunch of things to report.  But, very little time, at the moment.  Here's a brief outline:

1. Installed apps, desktop effects, and widgets
      1. VSCodium
      2. OBS Studio
      3. HandBrake Media Transcoder
      4. GNU Image Manipulation Program (a.k.a. GIMP)
      5. Inkscape
      6. Blender
      7. Incinerate (Burn-My-Windows desktop effect)
      8. Wunderground Weather (widget)
    2. Disabled Xfce wdigets
    3. Installed proprietary NVIDIA drivers
      1. Did not appear to fix issue with external display ports...
        1. i.e.no HDMI (nor DP) output in Linux (worked fine in Windows 11 Home)
        2. forum(s) solution "to switch graphics from hybrid to discreet" in BIOS did not solve the problem
          1. (allegedly) on the Legion 5i Pro Gen 8, the HDMI and DP are connected only to the GeForce RTX 4060 Max-Q / Mobile graphics — such that setting the BIOS to "discreet" (i.e. no integrated graphics) should enable external ports
    4. Upgraded BIOS/UEFI firmware to KWCN42WW
      1. Since that firmware upgrade, the external display ports work on Linux!
        1. ...including with the BIOS set to hybrid graphics!
    5. Created a few animated wallpaper files (both gif and webp; webp is smaller and looks better)
      1. See embedded video below (original file: 1764×1080p 30fps)!