What role will virtual/augmented reality play in academia?

With the rapid development of higher quality VR and AR headsets, do you believe that it will soon be adopted in the classroom?

• It hasn't been already? I believe a lot of parents are starting to want to have their children learn remotely with all of the horrible things happening at schools today. This would be a perfect way for students to be able to interact with their teacher and classmates without worry.

• I'm rooting for NONE! It's cancer for the mind.

• I would prefer it stay out as well. I can think of a few limited examples of beneficial use (a virtual planetarium) but generally it's more detrimental than beneficial to learning

• VR INSIDE classroom should be limited to avoid loss of social activity.  But for remote learning might have a place... 

• VR and AR are still far off... many improvements needs to be done before they hit the classrooms. Maybe could be presented some way as a gimmick, but it's still expensive and gets lots of people sick

• I think it will be awhile before it's adopted. But I do think it can play a great role expanding how people are able to learn.

• Care to explain your reasoning?  Virtual reality has only impacted my life in a positive way.

• I think VR may be helpful in online classes. It could be beneficial for young children who have to take zoom classes for health reasons, and allow them to feel like they are still in an actual classroom. I think there will still be some backlash from parents who prefer traditional classrooms.

• I think like every thing else on the market it will take a little time then they will discover something great and it will take off. I think another factor is demand, when industries find uses for it and demand better, that will help greatly, along with a lot more money dumped into it..

• I don't think VR/AR will ever full be able to replicate the classroom experience en masse, but I could definitely see situations where attending school via uplink would be beneficial... like scenarios where student is overseas and wouldn't have access to high-quality education in their mother tongue. Or students in far flung remote locations. Another example would be home-schooling. Most parents who home-school have a certain mindset or belief system in which they want a greater say in their children's education, and it would be easier to connect people with similar mindsets/beliefs together across an expansive geography--basically more choice.