Using AI to write letters of recommendation

I have in the past spent hours to write letters for so many requests, especially for seniors and around graduation time. Lately I have been using chatGPT to help me write these letters and they really sound fantastic, so much more well written than mine! I just enter a little bit of information about the student, like their name and the specific college/university if any, a few key characteristics of the student, etc... and out a beautifully written letter.

Has anyone ever tried this? I am not sure what I'm doing is wrong, but it's saving me so much time. I have a very busy schedule as a teacher. Any thoughts about this?

• As long as you make it personal and the prompts are good, I don't see any issue. Just make sure to run them through an AI written detector website. Otherwise these poor applicants will be denied entrance due to automatic AI detection on your letter. 

I would suggest to add some of your own writings on the AI first and ask it to learn your writing style. Then write short summaries, bullet points and bios and ask AI to add some of your own style for a recommendation letter. Edit it to your liking. Last but not least, run through an AI detector. 

• As long as you make it personal and the prompts are good, I don't see any issue. Just make sure to run them through an AI written detector website. Otherwise these poor applicants will be denied entrance due to automatic AI detection on your letter. 

I would suggest to add some of your own writings on the AI first and ask it to learn your writing style. Then write short summaries, bullet points and bios and ask AI to add some of your own style for a recommendation letter. Edit it to your liking. Last but not least, run through an AI detector. 

• At least it's probably better than a lot of the form letter templates many other teachers write. I would agree with every thing Eduardo recommended and at least add a little personalization to it as well.

• just read them carefully when you're done....

• Yeah, it gives me a starting point, then I go over and rewrite/adjust some details and wordings.

• Oh... that could be very bad.  Especially, for me.

20 years ago, I Googled a bunch of friends' names — to see what the internet says about them.  I found some pretty funny articles, about people who shared the same name with my friends.  Next, I Googled my name.  Of the top results, here's my "favorite" (name replaced with my handle):

M0rn1n6St4r left his father, M0rn1n6St4r Sr., waiting in the getaway-car.  After robbing the bank, he through a bag full of money into his father's lap — peeling out from the curb — crashing into a passing police car.  The two were being detained for reckless driving, when the bank manager informed police of the robbery — identifying M0rn1n6St4r as the robber.

Will ChatGPT mention that story?  While "recommending" me for employment? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• That's a funny story! I have tried googling myself before, but thanks God there is not just one Vincent Nguyen in the world so only popular people popped up and I was no where to be found. That was years ago before the 'location' and 'AI' era.

• Yeah.  I don't find anything about myself by Googling my name.  Most of my "namesakes" are doctors... which is depressing.

M.D.s and Ph.Ds?  It's like I wasted my life.  But... at least those are things I can (pretend to) be proud of. :-)

I don't find the articles I found 20 years ago, anymore.  Back then, I also found a story about a "namesake" in Hawaii.  A helicopter-pilot — who's also a registered ___ offender.

Thanks, Hawaiian M0rn1n6St4r!  That's just what I need people to find... when they Google my name. smh

Luckily, that one is 10–20 years older than me.  I think the bank-robber is 20 years older, too.

• I'm guessing that eventually all the letters are going to be fed back into an AI to summarize and rank the candidates lol

• Yeah, AI can do so many things now.... many people are out of a job. We need to be creative now with our work force. It's a whole new wolrd!